Green Development 2030
Over the next decade, green development will transform the way we work and live. As key drivers of this transformation, digitalization and decarbonization will underpin our transition into a sustainable world, one in which the planet, its rich biodiversity, and humanity can thrive.
However, we are not there yet and urgent action is needed. Our biosphere is under threat from rising carbon emissions. Climate change caused by and combined with human activity is compromising ecosystems across the globe. And our economies continue to drive unsustainable consumption and a culture of waste.
Launched in April 2022 as part of Huawei’s Intelligent World 2030 series, our Green Development 2030 report serves as a roadmap for the industry trends and technologies that will power a green future. From an industry perspective, the changes we will see will be most apparent in sectors like energy, industry, transport, buildings, and digital infrastructure – the specifics of which we cover extensively in the report.
In this blog post, we introduce the main outlooks, drivers, and innovation pathways that will help forge a green future.
Six outlooks for 2030
1. Renewables will go mainstream: More than 50% of electricity will come from renewable energy. Floating PV plants, offshore wind turbines, super power grids that can transport energy between continents, and energy storage solutions coordinated by a converged, open, and intelligent energy cloud will revolutionize how energy is produced and consumed.
2. The industrial sector will go green: We will see 390 robots per 10,000 workers, which will be able to work independently in a wide range of factory roles. Underpinned by visualized and transparent supply chains, virtual factories will bring together engineers, designers, and experts to perform E2E product planning and execution. 3D printing will enable mass customization, where consumers can independently design and create their own products.
3. Electrification will dominate the automotive industry: 145 million new energy vehicles will be on the roads, powered by 100 million private charging piles worldwide. Powered by new energy, blended wing body aircraft, new energy cargo ships, shared bikes, and a transport Internet will revolutionize air and sea travel and public transportation, reducing congestion and emissions.
4. Future buildings will operate at net-zero carbon: All new buildings will operate at net zero by 2030, with all buildings net zero by 2050. New building designs plus eco-friendly materials, natural energy resources, and biomass generated from organic waste are some of the innovations that will pave the way to net zero.
5. Digital infrastructure will be green: The world of 2030 will feature 200 billion connections, a tenfold increase in general computing, and an increase in AI computing power of 500 times. Renewable energy, data-driven services, fully automated O&M, and smart technologies such as neural networks and knowledge graphs will power intelligent, green infrastructure.
6. Low-carbon living is on the rise: E-health, online education, and digital tourism are just some of the lifestyle shifts that will contribute to humanity’s smaller carbon footprint.
Drivers of Green Development: Digitalization & Decarbonization
Three Innovation Paths
To contribute to the sustainable development of the world, Huawei will focus on three areas:
- Building green ICT infrastructure: includes green sites, simplified networks, green data centers, and tools for measuring network carbon emissions.
- Accelerating the development of renewables: includes integrating digital and power electronics, combining PV and energy storage to position solar power as a main energy source, digital technologies applied to electric vehicles, and developing integrated smart energy solutions.
- Enabling energy-efficient and low-carbon industries: includes redefining the power, industry, transport, and buildings sectors with digital technology.
For the full story on how we envisage the green future, how life on and for the planet will change for the better, and for the technologies and innovations that will get us there, download the Green Development 2030 report.
And leave us a comment with your thoughts: The planet faces unprecedented environmental pressure. Do you think technology can reverse these trends?
Disclaimer: Any views and/or opinions expressed in this post by individual authors or contributors are their personal views and/or opinions and do not necessarily reflect the views and/or opinions of Huawei Technologies.